AWE Club – Online History GCSE Information
Online History GCSE
Edexcel Exam Board
Teacher – Julia
Age 12 plus
- Anglo Saxons and Normans
- Civil Rights
Details of the history GCSE, together with the options which will be taught over a two year period. This course is suitable not only for students wishing to take the GCSE exam, but also students with an interest in history wishing to take one or more of the options. Students may start at any stage, but must complete two years if they wish to cover the entire content of the GCSE.
Edexcel GCSE (9-1) History
This course is 100% examination based and covers the following:
Paper 1: Thematic study and historic environment (Paper code:1HI0/10-12)
Written examination – 1 hour and 15 minutes (30%)
Option 11 Medicine in Britain, c1250-present and The British sector of the Western Front, 1914-18: injuries, treatment and the trenches.
• c1250-c1500: Medicine in medieval England.
• c1500-c1700: The Medical Renaissance in England.
• c1700-c1900: Medicine in eighteenth and nineteenth century Britain.
• c1900-present: Medicine in modern Britain.
• The British sector of the Western Front, 1914-18: injuries, treatment and the trenches.
• Knowledge selection and the use of sources for historical enquires.
Paper 2: Period study and British Depth Study (Paper code: 1HI0/2A-2W)
Written examination – 1 hour and 45 minutes (40%)
Option B1: Anglo-Saxon and Norman England, c1060-88.
• Anglo-Saxon England and the Norman Conquest, 1060-1066.
• William I in power: securing the kingdom, 1066-87.
• Norman England, 1066-1088.
Option P4: Superpower relations and the Cold War, 1941-91.
• The origins of the Cold War, 1941-58.
• Cold War crises, 1958-70.
• The end of the Cold War, 1970-91.
Paper 3: Modern depth study (Paper codes 1HI0/30-33)
Written examination – 1 hour and 20 minutes (30%)
Option 33: The USA, 1954-75: conflict at home and abroad.
• The development of the civil rights movement, 1954-60
• Protest, progress and radicalism, 1960-75.
• US involvement in the Vietnam War, 1954-75.
• Reactions to, and the end of, US involvement in Vietnam, 1964-75.
The course books are as follows:
Edexcel GCSE (9-1) History Medicine through time, c1250-present Student Book (EDEXCEL GCSE HISTORY (9-1))
Edexcel GCSE (9-1) History Anglo-Saxon and Norman England, c1060-1088 Student Book (EDEXCEL GCSE HISTORY (9-1))
Edexcel GCSE (9-1) History: Superpower relations and the Cold War, 1941–91 (EDEXCEL GCSE HISTORY (9-1))
Edexcel GCSE (9-1) History The USA, 1954-1975: conflict at home and abroad Student Book (EDEXCEL GCSE HISTORY (9-1))
Covid – 19. During this period of uncertainty with Covid-19 parents should ensure they are kept up to date with any changes with regard to timetabling / syllabus and should note that neither the tutor nor AWE Home Education are able to provide predicted grades in the event of cancellation / delay of examinations.
EXAM CODES. Please ask Julia for exam codes before booking your exams.
Examinations are optional and remain the responsibility of parents to book with an examination centre at the appropriate time. AWE Club have an arrangement with a local exam centre which we hope will still be available in 2023 and onwards. If not, we do have suggestions for alternative exam centres. Deadlines for booking exams vary between exam centres so you are advised to find a local exam centre early. If you require SEN Special access arrangements please contact your exam centre early bearing in mind it can take many months to set up. AWE HE Club is an Approved Learning Partner of T&E which entitles students to a discounted exam fee. They have a number of branches.